So I have a conundrum. Let’s all check off a few things we have recently discovered.
I have come to like baking.
I have a new found passion to bake all things with Peanut Butter and Chocolate.
I have a gluten intolerant work colleague who can’t eat anything I ever bring to work.
Thus, I feel terrible and bad. Sad that he patiently sits and watches everyone in good spirit munching on the latest cakes, brownies or cookies which I have brought into work.
So I thought. I need to fix this situation. There must be some good tasting gluten free sweet item I can bring into work that isn’t made out of almond/hazelnut meal (he’s also allergic to certain types of nuts) or has gluten.
Browsing the beautiful Hannah’s blog, I came upon her Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies treat and shouted out loud to myself, “BOOYAH!”
So I bookmarked the recipe and started sourcing for ingredients that were both nut free (Sir Win is allergic to some types of nuts but not peanuts *thank the Gods!*) and gluten free. It’s not hard to imagine that I stood befuddled in front of the Macro Wholefoods section for a good 15 minutes reading every label and triple checking that everything was what it claimed to be.
The local grocery store didn’t have Rice Krispies, but they did have Gluten Free Rice Puff Balls! We were on track. For the chocolates, it wasn’t as easy as buying a block of dark chocolate as I normally would do, as they all have some traces of tree nuts, or nuts in general. So I modified Hannah’s recipe and prayed to the Modified Recipes God to allow me to serve up a delicious treat for Sir Win!
I hope you enjoy, my slightly modified version of Hannah’s Chocolate PB Rice Krispies Treat 🙂
Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Bubbles Recipe
- 155 g Honey
- 150 g Peanut Butter (Kraft PB is 100% Gluten Free)
- 1 Tbsp (20 ml) Grapeseed Oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Vanilla Extract
- 100 g Rice Bubbles (Certified Gluten-Free)
- 2 tsp (10 grams) 100% Pure Cacao Baking Powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Milk
- Line a 20cm/8 inch square tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Stir in the honey, peanut butter, grapeseed oil and vanilla extract in a saucepan (on low-medium heat) until completely mixed and syrupy. Remove from heat.
- Add the cacao powder and milk, making sure that everything is well incorporated.
- Place the rice bubbles in a separate bowl. Carefully pour the mixture over the rice bubbles, taking care to coat all the rice bubbles with the peanut butter mixture.
- Transfer the rice bubble mixture into the lined tin and ensure that it is spread evenly. Place in refrigerator to set (probably an hour to be safe). Once the peanut butter rice bubble slice has been set, remove from tin and cut up into squares before storing in an air-tight container (it keeps for a few days).
Serve to happy people and/or sad people (it will make them happy).
Sir Win thought this was an absolute winner! I had some crumbs leftover which I tossed into yoghurt for an afternoon snack and it was AH-MUH-ZING!
now this is a treat i’m welcoming in my house! MMM YUM!
Anything with PB and C are welcoming 🙂
So nice to include your InTolerant friend! I bet he really appreciates your caring and baking as well 🙂
Not too sure if he does! Hahaha but everyone else sure did!
Oh this looks like a lovely treat that everyone can enjoy!
That is correct mundo!
Hahaha I love your new found love for baking! I love baking for colleagues too but totally know how you feel one someone cake eat your baked goodies cuz one of my colleagues can’t eat nuts I need to stay away from Peanut Butter and Nutella 🙁
Haha well this one doesn’t really need any baking. Yeah this colleague of mine is allergic to some nuts (hazelnuts and walnuts) but not peanuts!
Great work! Those look so yummy! I love peanut butter and chocolate too. 🙂 Lucky coworker!
It’s the best!!
Two things: Firstly, your hair looks great in that photo!
Secondly, I really want to hit up the Cheesecake Factory when/if I go to the US, if for no other reason that that I see it all the time on Big Bang Theory, lol!
Also I love cheesecake. But I think that’s three things now, hehehe. 🙂
Sorry dude! I meant to comment this previous comment in another window on a different blog and clearly I failed! And now I’m being a noob and can’t figure out how to delete it. Oops, sorry! 🙁
Oh my god that’s your comment for me!! This just made my day. x
Oh hahahaha it is! You’re both banana brains!
This sounds like it’s for Hannah!! Hahaha
I LOVE YOU SQUISHY SQUISHY HAPPY DANCE YAY!!!! xoxoxo
Hooray!! I wuv u too!
I love the sound of this little treat! Bookmarking this recipe for when I get better! OM NOM NOM!
Yup! So addictive!
Bake ALL THE THINGS with peanut butter.
Come on. I’m waiting.