The Boy knows that the one thing to get me on his side is not by buying me really expensive flowers (not that I would mind) or chocolates. Heck, I can’t actually remember the last time I received flowers or chocolates from him.
Oh! It was during our 7th year together (we are now 12 years strong) and he thought it would be really funny to send flowers to my office on Valentine’s Day knowing that I was running back-to-back training and inductions that day.
Out we came pouring out of the training room to find a large bouquet of red roses, a teddy bear and a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates. Never having received flowers often from The Boy, I instantly dismissed that it was him. I opened up the card that came with the delivery and all it said was “Thanks for everything”.
No name. No further clue.
I was beside myself thinking that I had a secret admirer and that The Boy would think I had a random one night stand. Little did I know that he was wetting himself laughing on the big “trick” he had played on me. What an a$$ 😛 Luckily for him, I forgave him and we’ve never had another flower delivery since.
He now knows that to get me on his good side, he needs to cook me my favourite dishes. I’m a simple lady really. It is either butter chicken (from a packet) or a classic Chinese Black Vinegar Chicken dish. I love dishes with lots of gravy or sauce. That way, I get to coat my rice in sauce and happily eat away. Most of the time, The Boy wouldn’t be able to get a word out of me as I eat my favourite dishes.
Want the recipe that renders me speechless? Here you go 🙂 Enjoy and eat with caution!
This is really a simple recipe. I’ve replicated it before, but nothing beats having The Boy cook it for me. He just makes it way better and I appreciate it more when someone else does it.
Chinese Black Vinegar Chicken Recipe
- 1 large Chicken Breast (skin off)
- 80 ml Chinese Black Vinegar (we used Chinkiang Vinegar)
- 60 ml Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp of Dark (Caramel) Soy Sauce (we used Cheong Chan Thick Caramel Sauce)
- 2 Tbsp of Caster Sugar
- Cornflour (enough to coat chicken)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1/2 tsp of Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- Peanut or Grapeseed Oil (for frying)
- Coriander (for garnish)
- sliced Red Chillies (for garnish)
- Start making the sauce by combining the black vinegar, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and caster sugar in a small saucepan.
- Heat the sauce over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Set sauce aside.
- Mix the cornflour, onion powder and salt in a bowl. Place beaten egg in another bowl.
- Start heating enough oil (for frying) in a deep fryer or saucepan at 170 degrees Celsius.
- Coat chicken in the flour mixture bowl, then place into the beaten egg bowl, and then back into the flour mixture bowl.
- Deep fry the chicken until golden brown or cooked. This may take 5-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken.
- Lift chicken out and place onto serving platter. Pour the sauce over while the chicken is still hot and you should hear a nice sizzle as the liquid hits the hot oil on the chicken.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and sliced chillies and serve immediately.
So tell me, are you a romantic? What has been the best (or worst) surprise that your partner has done for you?
Prompt: The Boy’s was his silly Valentine’s trick (worst). Mine was my Surprise Proposal (best)
Yes, thank you for the reminder that I’m alone again.
Ohhhhh honey… you have all of us!
Hahahahahaha!!! Good one, Aaron!!! *thumbs up* 😛 and heck how good does that chicken look?!! I have never tried black vinegar chicken before. Bookmarking this so I can attempt this soon! 😀
Don’t support him!! He’s evil!
I had a boy try to surprise me with chocolate covered strawberries.. But he covered them in a disgusting ganache, we spent the whole night laughing about it!
Oh.. hahaha bad ganache
A BIG yes please to this dish. You’re so lucky to have the boy cook for you, and love the story about you dismissing his flowers lol.
He only did it as a joke.. hahaha
This looks incredible. Could this be a variation of the shandong chicken? Either way it’s something I would happily gobble up.. all to myself!
Not too sure about the Shandong chicken.. must find!
BAHAHAHA that is so so so funny!!! I can’t believe you don’t like receiving flowers OR chocolates we’re so different 😛 I love flowers and love chocolates i’m still waiting for something from Ricky for our anniversary hahaha
And I disagree this is not a simple dish! Nothing the boy makes is simple but oh so delicious 🙂 Lucky girl!
Lol.. no you completely missed the point. I love flowers and would love to get some.. but not as a joke as he did!
Haven’t tried chicken with black vinegar before but if it’s anything like pork trotter vinegar I’m sold!
It’s even better 😛
Ooh your story is adorable, and I love black vinegar. Would be cool if I could get my man to cook this for me! We don’t do much in the way of romantic surprises. We just troll each other. :p
We troll each other too although romance is way better 😛
A man that cooks is a keeper, especially when he can make dishes you love. I am pinning this recipe as I think it looks so lush! I want to make it 🙂
That is true.. probs why I married him 😛
i love how simple things can be so pleasurable, i wish guys many more years of cooking and eating together!
Makes me sooo happy! Thank you hun 🙂
I made this, but doubled the recipe and poured it over rice. Maybe the rice was a bad idea, because it soaked up the sauce and the soy flavour was too intense.
Oh my.. hahaha.. oops I shouldn’t laugh! But I do like it on rice, but the right amount!
Looks delicious! Am mad about the plate/bowl. Where did you get THAT?